How not to swap out the SC pulley

L67 supercharged talk about modification, how to for making your car greater!

Moderator: sandman1

ArkanzanWheeler
SUPER MODERATOR!!
SUPER MODERATOR!!

Postby ArkanzanWheeler » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:10 pm

Really just need to know if he has a KR scanner, as long as he is getting 0.0* on that then it does not matter how he got there (unless it is not hooked up...lol)
2000 Daytona GTP
TIM GTP
GTP World Taskmaster

Postby TIM GTP » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:47 pm

Ya I forgot to write FWI but I'm going to get the 104's soon before Thursday
pacesetter headers, 3" exhaust to "Y" 2.5 to magnaflow mufflers, 180 T-Stat,
3.4 S/C pulley, ZZP 1.0 PCM, FWI, AL 104's, Polyurethane motor mounts
Punisher Bass
GTP World Patriot

Postby Punisher Bass » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:30 pm

PunisherBass from Final Gear here.

First, I'm sorry for bumping an old thread, but I wanted to clear the air a little bit for those who think I'm a retard for causing damage to my supercharger. I wasn't the one who used the wrong tool, then a blow torch, then another wrong tool, that was my mechanic Tom. I was mostly just an observer during the whole thing. To Tom's credit, he had never done this kind of job before and the instructions we had said to use a three prong puller. <span class="user-name">It wasn't till it was already warped that his assistant Ben came up with the correct tool to remove it. I know my way around a car, but I always defer to someone more knowledgeable when I'm in over my head, it's just this was a time when that person turned out to be in over their head as well. I documented the whole thing to show how not to do it but also to try and make light of a bad situation I was in.

My cost was around around $500 for the visit in total, but that was including the SC rebuild parts, a new idler pulley we had to get from the dealer, and a couple hours of labor to install both.

And finally, 85XR7Project, I'd like you to know that I love this car and plan to never get rid of it. Reason being that it was left to me by my father who passed away a few years ago and I have too many memories tied to it. I take care of it as best I can and have spent more money on it than any reasonable person would have, all to make sure it's in the best shape possible so it will still be running in 20 years.</span><span class="user-name">

</span>
1fast99GTP
GTP World Respected Scientist (1900 Club)

Postby 1fast99GTP » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:46 am

Tom failed but Good luck with you car and I hope you know now the right way to pull it off
My Garage>>http://www.gtpworld.net/garage_vehicle.php?mode=view_own_vehicle&CID=3
Site Moderator

WHAT I SAY DOES NOT REFLECT ON THE MEMBERS OR THIS SITE AND THE SITE HOLDS NO RESPONSIBILITY
99 Silvermist GTP, Fastest GP in CO known Mods so far >>Headers, S3-Ported Heads,LS6 Yellow valve springs, Ported TB ,S1x Cam , Sprint racing Lowering Springs ,DHP Powertuner, Custom-Tuned PCM for E85, 3" Hollow Cat 3" full cat back to Y pipe then 2.5" out ,65# Injectors, 2.8 Pulley,NGK TR6,180* Drilled Tstat ,4" Fenderwell CAI, K&N Air filter,Rims>MC2 FZ16 19X8 With Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 245-40ZR19 192Kmiles!! 6000K HIDs 3K HIDs in the fogs and a 03LEGTP Spoiler,01 75th anniversary Seats,Black Crystal Headlights!AND ZEX dry kit 1/4 mile 12.7s @ 107.99 on a 35 shot HERE in Denver Co With a 8500Ft DA**WITH NO IC OR GEN 5
85XR7Project
GTP World Literary Craftsmen (700 Club)

Postby 85XR7Project » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:09 am

I didn't mean you man, I meant the moron who did the work. I apologize that it looked as if I was implying it that way. I DID comment that you should not be aloud to own an L67 car again, I was wrong. I should have said Tom should not be allowed to WORK ON another L67. Again, I am sorry and hope your car is doing much better.
98 GTP- Sold
85 Cougar XR7- 351W/C4 implant in progress.
93 Accord- Sounds like a fart in a tin can but is a blast to DD.
Punisher Bass
GTP World Patriot

Postby Punisher Bass » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:12 am

No harm, no foul then.

If you look at the dates, I made the thread almost 2 full years ago, the car is doing just fine today. In fact, right now I'm getting it ready to make a 1200+ mile round trip to the 24 Hours Of LeMons endurance race, where we'll be entering a 3800 powered 99 LeSabre.

While Tom did screw up here, he's the only honest mechanic in town believe it or not. He's also helped me out many times when I do my own car repairs by loaning me tools and going so far as to let me use a lift at his shop for free so I could change my own oil pan gasket. He also takes payment in beer. Image
ArkanzanWheeler
SUPER MODERATOR!!
SUPER MODERATOR!!

Postby ArkanzanWheeler » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:59 am

While Tom sounds like a good guy, it is the little mistakes like using the wrong puller that get costly to him or the customer. We get many people everyday coming here thinking that they do not need the correct pulley puller and your documentation was just great to show what could happen if you do not use the correct one. I will admit that when I first got my car I did not know that it needed a special puller but I did some research before working on it so I would not make a mistake like this. When I go to work on a car for someone else I do my homework if I am not familiar with it to learn the common problems. But this is a learning lesson and as long as he knows to get the correct puller this time then maybe it was worth it. Good Luck and keep up with the documentations...lol.
2000 Daytona GTP
SHORINJINN
GTP World M.C.

Postby SHORINJINN » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:54 pm

People have to understand, this type of superchargers pulleys takes a special pulley puller for it , you can not use those 3 pron pulley pullers it will destroy your pulley or worse you may crack your supercharger nose. then you are talking money. Rent one form ZZP, pulleyboys, or better buy one, ( $99 to $149) cause the truth is no one carries them , not advance auto, or auto zone, not even the dealerships.
[b][/b99 GTX, supercharged, 3.4 pulley, 104's; to 0.60 gp, 180 T-Stat drilled, Headers, 3" DP, every sensor replaced, Gel Battery, Neon blue gauges, Leather
interior, Voltage booster, SC rebuild, valve cover breather, CAI, ZZP 1.0 PCM, Rebuild Transmission w/ 3.29 grs , AIT extension kit, 30% window tint,
DVD with 7" screen,Kicker sound sys,kicker components ,rear/fronts black outs, GTX RAM air hood, Fuel pump rewired kit, cat and u-bend delete,SLP exhaust ,exhaust tips....
glendayle
GTP World Enthusiast

Re: How not to swap out the SC pulley

Postby glendayle » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:19 pm

So clearly the 3 prong pullers are not made for the pulley. However, I've looked at the ones made for this specifically and then came across this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=40749

This is a puller that grasps on the pulley itself around the threads. What do you think? Would this work without issue, or should I just foot the bill to rent one?
gtpforever
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: How not to swap out the SC pulley

Postby gtpforever » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:55 pm

I do not see anything in that kit to allow the pulling force that is needed to get the pulley off of these superchargers. There needs to be some sort of metal plate to sit against the back of the pulley and be pushed on it. Not saying that the kit you showed will not work with some sort of plate added to it tho. LOL! Just need to find a plate of some sort. Hell its cheap enough and you could probably get a couple piece's of scrap steel or aluminum and and modify them to work right. LOL!
Now fixing....1998 Silvermist GTP with about 182,000 miles! Dead till fixed!!!!
Current Mods: XPZ, Stage 3 heads 150int/130exh, IRC bar/plate I/C, N*, 85mm maf, ZZP billet fuel logs, PRJ wires, 2.55, 2.8, 3.25, 3.4 pulleys and might have spun a bearing while dynoing!!!!! Worlds fastest GTP to get in the driveway to get rebuilt. No one comes close.
Image <<<<<Its BACK so watch out!
Good-luck to everyone who is true to the M90.....its like having a fat wife, sure a turbo (hot 120lb blond is better, but the M90 (fat wife) will be there forever!

Return to “W-body HorsePower Talk”