Blown Tansmission

L67 supercharged talk about modification, how to for making your car greater!

Moderator: sandman1

00 GTP
GTP World New Hand

Blown Tansmission

Postby 00 GTP » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:17 pm

I am a newbie to the site and would like some advice if possible. I recently bought a 2000 GTP with about 95,000 miles on it. I worked out with the previous owners to have the transmission rebuilt at their cost because of a slipping reverse gear. After talking to the previous owners for a while, they told me that they had the transmission rebuilt 3 years ago, because some of the forward gears where slipping. They told me that they would bring the transmission back to the same person to have the reserve gear fixed and the rest of the transmission look at. After three weeks, I finally get a call saying that the car was ready. I went to pick it up the next day and the transmission was leaking. So, it went back to the same transmission shop. A week later I found out that when the transmission went in to get the reverse gear replaced, the casing on the outside of the transmission was cracked. The transmission shop tried to put some epoxy over it to stop it from leaking, but that didn't work so they replaced the whole casing. After 4 weeks of waiting for my car, its finally ready. Ive now had the car for about a month and a half. Last week I was driving around when it sounded like a driveaxle or wheel bearing was starting to give out. So, I didn't think anything of it. Slowly the noise was getting louder. I took it home and jacked the front end up and drove it at about 5 mph. There was a loud thumping noise coming from the transmission, as well as a quite screeching noise. I haven't driven the car since.
The transmisson shop does offer a six month warrenty but after the same transmission begin there three times to be rebuilt doesn't make me want to take it back there. If I end up doing the work myself, are there better transimssion available for these cars? Would you get the transmission rebuilt again or go with a new one?

Thanks
jdtsoccer21
GTP World Chieftan

Blown Tansmission

Postby jdtsoccer21 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:28 pm

well after a while on the site, i know to recommend the tranny man at triple edge performance . com. the transmissions on there are upgraded and also made with all hard parts. it is a big upgrade from a busted transmission all for about 1500.
DarkRelic
GTP World Janitor (3000 Club)

Blown Tansmission

Postby DarkRelic » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:52 pm

I'm working on getting a trannyman tranny right now. It comes highly recomended, especially for cars capable of much higher horsepower than stock.
Just for reference, these cars can last a long time on their original trannies if properly maintained. My car is also a 2000 GTP, and the tranny lasted until about a week ago at just over 212,6xx miles.

just go to tripleedgeperformance.com and send Dave an e-mail. he won't steer you wrong and his prices are very fair.
-Matt
-250,xxx miles
3.4"pulley Gen V, SLP RR, SLP Headers/Cat-Back, ZZP PCM, Eibach/AGX suspension, GMPP full upgrade kit, GMPP rear STB, WBS Perf. control arms (all 4 corners), TEP 3.29 transmission, F-Body Brakes, Modified Projector Headlights, CAI, 180*therm, AL104, WBS OS Radiator, 18x7.5" Verde Protocol Wheels
ArkanzanWheeler
SUPER MODERATOR!!
SUPER MODERATOR!!

Blown Tansmission

Postby ArkanzanWheeler » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:54 pm

Trannyman does do some good transmissions and you can find his site here: <a title="http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/" target="_blank" href="http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/">http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/</a>

I know it is a hassle but I would bring the trans back one more time and let them know that if they do not fix it all correctly this time then you would be taking them to court, then if it is not fixed properly (no epoxy and all) you will be ordering a new trans and have it installed somewhere else and send them the bill. Although 3 times already might be enough for some judges to rule in favor of you, you need a completely different trans anyway you go though, if they do such s#!tty work that the epoxy the case and claim that is a fix then they do not need to be a trans shop. It is mechanics like that who give the rest a bad name, for all you know they are just putting in Marvel Mystery Oil in the trans and calling it a rebuild...lol.
2000 Daytona GTP
gtpforever
Site Owner
Site Owner

Blown Tansmission

Postby gtpforever » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:07 am

epoxy????? WTF!?!?!? [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/roll.gif[/img]
Now fixing....1998 Silvermist GTP with about 182,000 miles! Dead till fixed!!!!
Current Mods: XPZ, Stage 3 heads 150int/130exh, IRC bar/plate I/C, N*, 85mm maf, ZZP billet fuel logs, PRJ wires, 2.55, 2.8, 3.25, 3.4 pulleys and might have spun a bearing while dynoing!!!!! Worlds fastest GTP to get in the driveway to get rebuilt. No one comes close.
Image <<<<<Its BACK so watch out!
Good-luck to everyone who is true to the M90.....its like having a fat wife, sure a turbo (hot 120lb blond is better, but the M90 (fat wife) will be there forever!
micromud
GTP World Cardinal

Blown Tansmission

Postby micromud » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:21 am

Hey it might have been JB weld ! rofl
DarkRelic

Blown Tansmission

Postby DarkRelic » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:52 am

bubble gum is more likely.
-Matt
-250,xxx miles
3.4"pulley Gen V, SLP RR, SLP Headers/Cat-Back, ZZP PCM, Eibach/AGX suspension, GMPP full upgrade kit, GMPP rear STB, WBS Perf. control arms (all 4 corners), TEP 3.29 transmission, F-Body Brakes, Modified Projector Headlights, CAI, 180*therm, AL104, WBS OS Radiator, 18x7.5" Verde Protocol Wheels
1fast99GTP
GTP World Respected Scientist (1900 Club)

Blown Tansmission

Postby 1fast99GTP » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:06 am

I would use radiator sealer LMAO J/K
My Garage>>http://www.gtpworld.net/garage_vehicle.php?mode=view_own_vehicle&CID=3
Site Moderator

WHAT I SAY DOES NOT REFLECT ON THE MEMBERS OR THIS SITE AND THE SITE HOLDS NO RESPONSIBILITY
99 Silvermist GTP, Fastest GP in CO known Mods so far >>Headers, S3-Ported Heads,LS6 Yellow valve springs, Ported TB ,S1x Cam , Sprint racing Lowering Springs ,DHP Powertuner, Custom-Tuned PCM for E85, 3" Hollow Cat 3" full cat back to Y pipe then 2.5" out ,65# Injectors, 2.8 Pulley,NGK TR6,180* Drilled Tstat ,4" Fenderwell CAI, K&N Air filter,Rims>MC2 FZ16 19X8 With Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 245-40ZR19 192Kmiles!! 6000K HIDs 3K HIDs in the fogs and a 03LEGTP Spoiler,01 75th anniversary Seats,Black Crystal Headlights!AND ZEX dry kit 1/4 mile 12.7s @ 107.99 on a 35 shot HERE in Denver Co With a 8500Ft DA**WITH NO IC OR GEN 5
00 GTP
GTP World New Hand

Blown Tansmission

Postby 00 GTP » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:42 pm

Today I got off work early and thought that I should take my car to a tranny shop to get looked at. I went to someone that was highly recommended to me. When I got there I talked to the owner for a while and told him the complete story. He said that guys that do stupid things like put epoxy on a housing is what gives the tranny shops bad names. He was pretty pissed off that I had to go through that. Long story short, they put a scan tool on my car, test drove it and there is nothing wrong with the transmission. The better part is that they didn't even chrage me for the half hour of time.

Thanks for the replies.
DarkRelic

Blown Tansmission

Postby DarkRelic » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:29 pm

I'm glad you where taken care of. It's good to have the re-assuring piece of mind from a reputable mechanic.
-Matt
-250,xxx miles
gtpforever
Site Owner
Site Owner

Blown Tansmission

Postby gtpforever » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:31 pm

00 GTP wrote:Today I got off work early and thought that I should take my car to a tranny shop to get looked at. I went to someone that was highly recommended to me. When I got there I talked to the owner for a while and told him the complete story. He said that guys that do stupid things like put epoxy on a housing is what gives the tranny shops bad names. He was pretty pissed off that I had to go through that. <span style="font-weight: bold;">Long story short, they put a scan tool on my car, test drove it and there is nothing wrong with the transmission.</span> The better part is that they didn't even chrage me for the half hour of time.

Thanks for the replies.

<span style="font-weight: bold;">outside of the transmission was cracked</span>

Where in the world do you live? I need to make sure I am never around this area if I think I could have a chance at something going wrong with my car. LOL! How in the world can they say there is nothing wrong with the tranny if it <font size="4"><span style="font-weight: bold;">has a crack in the side of it</span></font>!

Seriously tho where do you live?
Now fixing....1998 Silvermist GTP with about 182,000 miles! Dead till fixed!!!!
Current Mods: XPZ, Stage 3 heads 150int/130exh, IRC bar/plate I/C, N*, 85mm maf, ZZP billet fuel logs, PRJ wires, 2.55, 2.8, 3.25, 3.4 pulleys and might have spun a bearing while dynoing!!!!! Worlds fastest GTP to get in the driveway to get rebuilt. No one comes close.
Image <<<<<Its BACK so watch out!
Good-luck to everyone who is true to the M90.....its like having a fat wife, sure a turbo (hot 120lb blond is better, but the M90 (fat wife) will be there forever!
1fast99GTP
GTP World Respected Scientist (1900 Club)

Blown Tansmission

Postby 1fast99GTP » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:53 am

India maybe LOL!
My Garage>>http://www.gtpworld.net/garage_vehicle.php?mode=view_own_vehicle&CID=3
Site Moderator

WHAT I SAY DOES NOT REFLECT ON THE MEMBERS OR THIS SITE AND THE SITE HOLDS NO RESPONSIBILITY
99 Silvermist GTP, Fastest GP in CO known Mods so far >>Headers, S3-Ported Heads,LS6 Yellow valve springs, Ported TB ,S1x Cam , Sprint racing Lowering Springs ,DHP Powertuner, Custom-Tuned PCM for E85, 3" Hollow Cat 3" full cat back to Y pipe then 2.5" out ,65# Injectors, 2.8 Pulley,NGK TR6,180* Drilled Tstat ,4" Fenderwell CAI, K&N Air filter,Rims>MC2 FZ16 19X8 With Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 245-40ZR19 192Kmiles!! 6000K HIDs 3K HIDs in the fogs and a 03LEGTP Spoiler,01 75th anniversary Seats,Black Crystal Headlights!AND ZEX dry kit 1/4 mile 12.7s @ 107.99 on a 35 shot HERE in Denver Co With a 8500Ft DA**WITH NO IC OR GEN 5
00 GTP
GTP World New Hand

Blown Tansmission

Postby 00 GTP » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:36 am

I'm in Ontario. Fortunately the original tranny shop that worked on my car is out in the middle of no where so he can't screw alot more people over then if he was in the city.

After the transmission shop put the epoxy on the housing and the tranny was still leaking, they ended up replacing the housing.
gtpgtogofast
GTP World Bridge Officer (1700 Club)

Blown Tansmission

Postby gtpgtogofast » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:29 pm

welcome to the site brother. 2000 gtp Nice ride. BTW if the tranny was good what was the problem?

Return to “W-body HorsePower Talk”