KR Question

L67 supercharged talk about modification, how to for making your car greater!

Moderator: sandman1

xfmr55
GTP World Patriot

KR Question

Postby xfmr55 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:35 pm

Hello. I am new to this site. I just purchase a 2002 GTP. The Motor had spun several rod bearings and was knocking bad. I replaced the engine with a low milage L67 from a 2004 Impala SS. I had to change a few sensors and it started right up and runs well. Does KR stay registered in the PCM or does it decrease with key-ons. I am going to buy a scanner like the Equus 3160, if this tool is required to clear KR. I was also going to buy an Overkill PCM. I was told this tool would initiate the CASE learn process. Is this true? Installed on the car is a CAI, a 160 stat, and a CAT back exhaust. I have a 3.4" pulley and gatorback belt to install when i get a few more supporting mods done. Thank you in advance for your help.
gtpforever
Site Owner
Site Owner

KR Question

Postby gtpforever » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:25 pm

Just make sure to install ALL of the supporting mods before you install the 3.4" pulley. LOL! For the KR issue, no it does not stay in the system. It is more of a real time check the PCM gets from the knock sensors on the sides of the block. It uses those readings from the knock sensors to retard the timing to help prevent pre-detonation in the cylinders. The preferred scanner that most of is use is the Aeroforce Interceptor Scangauge and t is recommended to use some sort of scan gauge no matter what when you start modding the car. The Overkill PCM does not always cause case learn to be needed but I have heard stories of people saying they needed to have it done. Most do not need it tho.
Now fixing....1998 Silvermist GTP with about 182,000 miles! Dead till fixed!!!!
Current Mods: XPZ, Stage 3 heads 150int/130exh, IRC bar/plate I/C, N*, 85mm maf, ZZP billet fuel logs, PRJ wires, 2.55, 2.8, 3.25, 3.4 pulleys and might have spun a bearing while dynoing!!!!! Worlds fastest GTP to get in the driveway to get rebuilt. No one comes close.
Image <<<<<Its BACK so watch out!
Good-luck to everyone who is true to the M90.....its like having a fat wife, sure a turbo (hot 120lb blond is better, but the M90 (fat wife) will be there forever!
xfmr55
GTP World Patriot

KR Question

Postby xfmr55 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:48 pm

Thank you GTPforever. I have read the forum for the past 2 hours and know a lot more about KR and how to deal with it. The Interceptor is a dash mounted scanner. I would prefer to buy a hand held scanner with ABS feature so i could use it on my other cars, that is why I mentioned the Equus 3160. I will compare the features of both. The interceptor brochure is very informative. The Equus 3160 is vague.
gtpforever
Site Owner
Site Owner

KR Question

Postby gtpforever » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:27 am

Yeah you need to keep an eye on other scanners cause they don't always use all of the features that we need to properly scan these cars.
Now fixing....1998 Silvermist GTP with about 182,000 miles! Dead till fixed!!!!
Current Mods: XPZ, Stage 3 heads 150int/130exh, IRC bar/plate I/C, N*, 85mm maf, ZZP billet fuel logs, PRJ wires, 2.55, 2.8, 3.25, 3.4 pulleys and might have spun a bearing while dynoing!!!!! Worlds fastest GTP to get in the driveway to get rebuilt. No one comes close.
Image <<<<<Its BACK so watch out!
Good-luck to everyone who is true to the M90.....its like having a fat wife, sure a turbo (hot 120lb blond is better, but the M90 (fat wife) will be there forever!
gtpgtogofast
GTP World Bridge Officer (1700 Club)

KR Question

Postby gtpgtogofast » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:58 pm

Welcome to the site brother. The answer to your question will your pcm or computer store the knock from your old car? The answer is No. The pcm will listen to your knock at all times and make adjustmentes for it when ever it needs to. It does it very quick and doesnot store it for very long at all. Todd
footballplaya3k
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: KR Question

Postby footballplaya3k » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:30 pm

Don't 04 Impala SS's have L32's?
David

Old. 98 GTP Coupe- L32, Gen V, IC, Headers, 3.2" 13.7 @ 104.

New. '08 Cobalt SS/TC Rally Yellow ~300WHP
K&N SRI, ZZP 3" Catless DP, MPX 3" Catback w/o muffler, 23 PSI Trifecta ECP Tune, ZZP FMIC, Injen Upper CP, ZZP Lower CP, GMPP Clutch, HKS SSQV, Pedders XA Extreme Coilovers, TWM Shifter, Carbon Fiber Hood and Trunk, Buyhids Retrofits, Powell Air/Oil Separator

Return to “W-body HorsePower Talk”