best pulley with my setup

L67 supercharged talk about modification, how to for making your car greater!

Moderator: sandman1

alwaysdown97
GTP World Cadet

best pulley with my setup

Postby alwaysdown97 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:09 am

I'm kind of new to the gtp world but I do plan on getting a scantool so lets get that out of the way. My question is what size pulley do you think would be most efficient for mysetup I want a 3.25 but don't want to have to get an intercooler right now so I'm thinking might not be thebest idea. Mods are cone filter intake sd headers w/ exhaust wrap egr delete 3in downpipe no cat 2.5 in slp catback 1.8 rockers throttle body heat shield ngk tr6 180 t stat 3.4 pulley tune by overkill
always use 93 octane gas car runs great right now not Sure what it would do in the 1/4 but I f it has any knock at all I can't feel it. . Just looking for some more experienced people to chime in. Thx
alwaysdown97
GTP World Cadet

Re: best pulley with my setup

Postby alwaysdown97 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:11 am

Also have poly motor mounts if that makes any difference
2001goldGTP
GTP REAPER
GTP REAPER

Postby 2001goldGTP » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:51 am

well not to squash your dreams but run a stock pulley for now. If you can feel knock, its too late. The scan tool will actually let you know whats going on.

If you a hell bent on running a smaller pulley right now most people would say run a 3.4. I would suggest if you where going to run a smaller pulley before you buy a scan tool, run a 3.5 to be safer. Also buy a modular pulley system (MPS). that way you put the hub on once, and then you can change pulleys around in mins till your heart is content.

A guy on another forum said it best, Modifying with out scanning is like banging a hooker with out a condom, you just hope and pray.
I didn't choose the W-body life
The W-body life chose me
ArkanzanWheeler
SUPER MODERATOR!!
SUPER MODERATOR!!

Postby ArkanzanWheeler » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:35 pm

The first thing to address is the cone filter, if it is in a box then that is cool but if it is just open like the ricers do then you are sucking hot air from the engine into the engine and that it not good.

Your tune is set up for a 3.4" pulley, going smaller than that will make a lean condition because the supercharger will be spinning faster and forcing more air in but the tune would limit the fuel thinking you still have the bigger pulley on. You can always go with a bigger pulley than the tune is made for but never smaller.

With that said, if you get someone to actually tune your car you might be able to run a 3.25" pulley like you want but you might be running rich to use the fuel as a cooler. I did that for a while...lol.
2000 Daytona GTP
alwaysdown97
GTP World Cadet

Postby alwaysdown97 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:58 pm

I'm sorry just to be clear. I have all mods listed except for the tune. The kn cone filter is open bc its a 97 I need to sheild it somehow from the engine heat.it runs great. I had a modded lt1 camaro that ran 13.30s and I would say this is pretty close. Hard to tell bc of the torque difference and 3.73 gears in my camaro. I just want to know would a bigger tb maybe help to be able to lower the pulley or should I just wait and save up for a ssic (want to keep stock fuel system) I just want a low 13 high 12 second street car to occasionally take to the track. I plan onbuilding a3800 in the near future with cam heads stg3 intercooler the whole nine yards in the future but ima wait till I get a lot saved up and my engine craps out. Would a 3.3 3.3 even be worth the money with my mods over the 3.4 I currently have?
2001goldGTP
GTP REAPER
GTP REAPER

Postby 2001goldGTP » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:09 pm

you really need a tune. before you do anything else pulley wise.

I am a bit confused on why a 97 has to have an open cone. do you have pics?
The W-body life chose me
alwaysdown97
GTP World Cadet

Postby alwaysdown97 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:44 pm

I've read the airbox is better on 98 newer. I guess its a kn cai. It has a. Stainless elbow that goes to th tb and a kn cone filter in the engine bay above the pcm which I assume was mounted in the airbox. The elbow has the iat sensor on it but what confuses me is I see no maf sensor. Is it attached to the throttle.body? Anyway just to see if it helps I'm going to wrap my fuel lines in heat resistant reflective tape. Don't think it will do much but it can't hurt. Also if it makes any difference I replaced the rusted fuel lines underneath. The new ones are maybe a tad more wide and rubber
2001goldGTP
GTP REAPER
GTP REAPER

Postby 2001goldGTP » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:21 pm

dont wrap the fuel lines. i dont know where you heard that about 97s. Take a look at these

http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/p/1 ... ystem.aspx

2001 car

http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/p/1 ... ntake.aspx

1997 car
Mine didn't have the plate to seal off the fender, it would not work with a full size IC
The W-body life chose me
alwaysdown97
GTP World Cadet

Postby alwaysdown97 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:06 pm

I just meant I heard 98+ guys like to keep their airbox. This intake was on the car when I got it. If not id definitely be all over that
2001goldGTP
GTP REAPER
GTP REAPER

Postby 2001goldGTP » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:25 pm

there are hard arguments for open cone vs cold air and its the internet so logic and reason go out the window. I showed you what i have personally lol. Get a tune any type of tune and scan gauge. go from there with the pulleys
The W-body life chose me
ArkanzanWheeler
SUPER MODERATOR!!
SUPER MODERATOR!!

Postby ArkanzanWheeler » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:57 pm

alwaysdown97 wrote:I just meant I heard 98+ guys like to keep their airbox. This intake was on the car when I got it. If not id definitely be all over that
If you are talking to 98+ guys who think their airbox is good then you are talking to the wrong guys...lol.

alwaysdown97 wrote:I've read the airbox is better on 98 newer. I guess its a kn cai. It has a. Stainless elbow that goes to th tb and a kn cone filter in the engine bay above the pcm which I assume was mounted in the airbox. The elbow has the iat sensor on it
That sounds like a Ricer Hot Air Intake (HAI), not a CAI.

alwaysdown97 wrote:but what confuses me is I see no maf sensor. Is it attached to the throttle.body?
The MAF is going into the top of the throttle body, it is the black squarish thing with two screws holding it on.

alwaysdown97 wrote:Anyway just to see if it helps I'm going to wrap my fuel lines in heat resistant reflective tape. Don't think it will do much but it can't hurt.
Wrapping the fuel lines will not make much difference, the better thing is to get a fuel log that does not go over the top of the supercharger, but that is not necessary for most people, but if you are thinking of getting an I/Cer then I would get it first to make it easier.

alwaysdown97 wrote:Also if it makes any difference I replaced the rusted fuel lines underneath. The new ones are maybe a tad more wide and rubber
The fuel lines on these cars are metal for a reason, the fuel is pressurized to over 45 psi...most rubber fuel line is only made for about 15 psi. That is one of the biggest causes for engine fires with these cars, GM blamed it on "a leaking rear valve cover gasket" but really it is people using rubber lines, especially on the fuel rails going over the supercharger...
2000 Daytona GTP
2001goldGTP
GTP REAPER
GTP REAPER

Postby 2001goldGTP » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:44 pm

i have to agree with Ark, don't mess around with DYI fuel systems on fuel injected cars with electric fuel pumps. you are asking for leaks on a car that has a tenancy to burn anyway
The W-body life chose me
gtp89
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby gtp89 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:20 pm

If you do change the lines make sure to go with SS Braided lines. Look good and work great. As for pulley dropping keep in mind smaller isn't always better. If I were you stick to a 3.4 and add timing.

Another thing you can do port the supercharger or block off the coolant passages on the lim.

Return to “W-body HorsePower Talk”