Back in a gtp

L67 supercharged talk about modification, how to for making your car greater!

Moderator: sandman1

2001gtpagain
GTP World Tenderfoot

Back in a gtp

Postby 2001gtpagain » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:05 pm

So I recently bought another GTP after about a 6 year break.

All my old memories are coming back again.

Couple things i need help with.

I believe my car has a tune on it because I measured the pulley and it seems like there is a 3.6" pulley on it. Also the car gets about 14 mpg in town. which is crap compared to my other gtps (I had one with a 3.4 that got 24mpg in town). Also when I put the car into neutral the speedometer drops to 0mph. To me that seems like something that could be a result of a tune shop messing with the pcm. Has any one ever heard of this from a tune?

I just realized today that the plastic 90* piece that runs coolant into the manifold area is leaking. I think I remember removing the alternator last time I did this. Is this necessary to replace the piece?

And lastly my lights are pointed at the sky. how do I adjust the lights to point down?

If you guys could help me out with some links or information that would be great! Sorry if this is in the wrong section I couldn't find a maintenance aera
Vincemal27
GTP World Enthusiast

Re: Back in a gtp

Postby Vincemal27 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:01 pm

2001gtpagain wrote:So I recently bought another GTP after about a 6 year break.

All my old memories are coming back again.

Couple things i need help with.

I believe my car has a tune on it because I measured the pulley and it seems like there is a 3.6" pulley on it. Also the car gets about 14 mpg in town. which is crap compared to my other gtps (I had one with a 3.4 that got 24mpg in town). Also when I put the car into neutral the speedometer drops to 0mph. To me that seems like something that could be a result of a tune shop messing with the pcm. Has any one ever heard of this from a tune?

I just realized today that the plastic 90* piece that runs coolant into the manifold area is leaking. I think I remember removing the alternator last time I did this. Is this necessary to replace the piece?

And lastly my lights are pointed at the sky. how do I adjust the lights to point down?

If you guys could help me out with some links or information that would be great! Sorry if this is in the wrong section I couldn't find a maintenance aera

ive never heard of that type of problem coming from a tune, but it can happen, there are many variables that effect gas mileage... too many to count could be something as small as spark plugs or a pcv valve..
as for your coolant elbow i would replace them ASAP, or they will blow, ive had that happen on my gtp and cleaning all the coolant out of the engine bay is not fun. When you replace them, i would get the aftermarket aluminum elbows... they hold up better and are worth the extra dollar or two..
2001goldGTP
GTP REAPER
GTP REAPER

Postby 2001goldGTP » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:46 pm

24 around town is pretty optimistic, stock its rated at 18 city 28 highway. The tune can be really rich to mask other issues. Is the exhaust stock?

Replace the coolant elbows, they are cheap and go into the alternator bracket, you will need to remove the alternator.

Are the headlights stock? The is an adjustment nut, back the nut off and the headlights should start to point down.
I didn't choose the W-body life
The W-body life chose me
2001gtpagain
GTP World Tenderfoot

Postby 2001gtpagain » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:26 pm

I replaced the coolant elbows with the new metal ones. took about an hour. Wasn't bad.

I cant see some one going to a shop and having them tune the pcm just to hide issues. If that's what youre saying. The car is deinatly running rich. Ill change the pcv valve, also I just checked the super charger oit and it seems low and brown. Getting some tomorrow.

And thatnks ill try the head lights
2001goldGTP
GTP REAPER
GTP REAPER

Postby 2001goldGTP » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:06 pm

Running really rich can help hide issues like knock due to a restrictive exhaust
I didn't choose the W-body life
The W-body life chose me

Return to “W-body HorsePower Talk”