Future of GTPWORLD

Recommendations, thoughts, comments, & suggestions.
gtpforever
Site Owner
Site Owner

Future of GTPWORLD

Postby gtpforever » Tue May 26, 2009 7:19 pm

I have sent this message to everyone but just in case you don't know how to check your mail..................

I have been looking into moving the forum to another host that has more features for what we need or have needed in the past from user request. YUKU has not had these or does but they are not as featured as many of the members here have wanted so I have been looking into getting gtpworld transferred over. It is going to be a paid host so it is going to need some help from all of its members in the future. I have sent a message to eGTX03 who has designed these before to see what he says is the best route to take on this but I have not heard back from him yet so we will see what he recommends for us to do. There are some downsides to doing this which could be things like loosing post count, who posted what thread, and a couple other things but nothing I don't think we can get over as a group. The reason for loosing these things will be because YUKU even tho they do not own this site is pretty much refusing to give me all of the forum backup info. If they did give me all of the backup info it would allow for this forum to be transferred completely with everything we currently have and then it would be converted to the new host's style and embedded. But like I said YUKU is not allowing it right now so it looks like it might be a case of me and some others needing to "COPY" & "PASTE" all threads and replies. This can be very time consuming and it will not have who posted what unless we add their name to it or something along that line. I am looking for all of your opinions on this matter and I am sure it will not make a difference to some of you but I would still like to hear what you have to say about it.
Now fixing....1998 Silvermist GTP with about 182,000 miles! Dead till fixed!!!!
Current Mods: XPZ, Stage 3 heads 150int/130exh, IRC bar/plate I/C, N*, 85mm maf, ZZP billet fuel logs, PRJ wires, 2.55, 2.8, 3.25, 3.4 pulleys and might have spun a bearing while dynoing!!!!! Worlds fastest GTP to get in the driveway to get rebuilt. No one comes close.
Image <<<<<Its BACK so watch out!
Good-luck to everyone who is true to the M90.....its like having a fat wife, sure a turbo (hot 120lb blond is better, but the M90 (fat wife) will be there forever!
DarkRelic
GTP World Janitor (3000 Club)

Future of GTPWORLD

Postby DarkRelic » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:08 pm

Well, I suppose I've been thinking "long and hard"

I was just sort of getting used to things on here. I see one advantage, if the post count gets re-set I could change my screen name sine even the noobs wil have as many posts as the moderators. I havn't touched a helicopter in a couple of years I think, so copterdoctor is a bit stale for me. LMAO!

Really, I don't think we need to keep all of the posts (especially the short question ones from over a year ago) If we keep the spirit of the current forum lay-out alive the only items needing copied and pasted should be the "stickied items"

What kind of benifits do we get from switching over to this new host? I assume you are attempting a "members garage function" and that's what got you started on this. I suppose as long as the forum is "searchable" by yahoo and google new members rolling in won't be a problem. That's really what seems to keep a forum alive.
-Matt
-250,xxx miles
3.4"pulley Gen V, SLP RR, SLP Headers/Cat-Back, ZZP PCM, Eibach/AGX suspension, GMPP full upgrade kit, GMPP rear STB, WBS Perf. control arms (all 4 corners), TEP 3.29 transmission, F-Body Brakes, Modified Projector Headlights, CAI, 180*therm, AL104, WBS OS Radiator, 18x7.5" Verde Protocol Wheels
fastgtp51
GTP World Cap\'n

Future of GTPWORLD

Postby fastgtp51 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:25 pm

i agree with doctor things from a year and posts that are dead shouldnt be transfered
Gibby
SUPER MODERATOR!!
SUPER MODERATOR!!

Future of GTPWORLD

Postby Gibby » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:51 pm

I think there is a lot of valuable information in those old posts that keep us from repeating ourselves, and they also give me something to read when I am bored and nobody is on! LOL
gtpforever wrote:Now I know you live in Cali so thats complicates things for you compared to the rest of us who live where we have rights

NIC cam, tuned by me. Best time of 13.35 @107. Cant keep tires from spinning during WOT shifts, need slicks.
gtpforever
Site Owner
Site Owner

Future of GTPWORLD

Postby gtpforever » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:16 am

Well I really do not know what all is going to be transferred yet as I am still waiting on eGTX03 to get back with me about what he thinks. I know I can start a forum right away and just copy and paste the messages if we just went the stickied post's route but I do believe that we would need more of them then that. They would look odd also since when copied and pasted there will be no who said what type of thing. I am trying to go with the best thing I can with out costing an arm and a leg. These free forums jut do not have the capabilities to keep this forum going with the amount of info and people we have here. We are really going to need to keep it going with funds from members by raffles, donations, track days and anything else we can think of.
The phpBB boards or some of the best featured communities so I really think it is the front runner for where we would go. Although allot like vbullitin but it cost so much to use those boards that I do not think we can do it. PhpBB has the garage and its fully user edit and operational for all registered members. From what I have been told I can import all of the members from here but even if you do not want your name from here when you go to the new place you can register a different one.
Some of the benefits should be some speed I would think, lack of the magic white screen that tends to happen here at night, tons of customizable things in the forums itself that I can't do here at all.
Current Mods: XPZ, Stage 3 heads 150int/130exh, IRC bar/plate I/C, N*, 85mm maf, ZZP billet fuel logs, PRJ wires, 2.55, 2.8, 3.25, 3.4 pulleys and might have spun a bearing while dynoing!!!!! Worlds fastest GTP to get in the driveway to get rebuilt. No one comes close.
Good-luck to everyone who is true to the M90.....its like having a fat wife, sure a turbo (hot 120lb blond is better, but the M90 (fat wife) will be there forever!
gtpforever
Site Owner
Site Owner

Future of GTPWORLD

Postby gtpforever » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:47 am

There is a ton of things listed as mods for the forums over there and one that I really am interested in is "auto-refresh" I have wanted that for some time cause its a pain to sit and refresh to see what new posts are here. I can set it to refresh how ofter we think it should be. Just a great thing for us to have.

Here is a list of some of them..................

Users Choose Displayed Forums 1.0.0
Lets the user decide which forums he/she would like displayed

Snow over phpBB 1.0.2
Adds Snow all over forum for Christmas/Winter.

Hide Bots & Spiders 1.0.1
Hides robots and spiders from the "Who is online?" list.

User status mod 1.0.5
Allow users to add a facebook style status to there account.

Topic SiteMap 1.0.0
Generates a XML SiteMap of the Forum topic for Google and the other search engines.

AJAX Quick Edit 1.0.8
Edit posts quickly without reloading the page.

Memberlist Ranks MOD 1.0.3
This MOD displays 'User' or 'Moderator' or 'Admin' in the memberlist

Your posts since last visit 1.0.0
This MOD displays a link to the search page which displays a list of posts that have been replied to since your last visit.

Moderators seeing all mailadresses of all the user 1.0.0
With this mod can moderators viewing all the emailadresses on the memberlist, profile.

Staff Topics
Adds the option for moderators of a forum to post a topic in the forum that can only be viewed by other moderators.

Now these are just some of them listed and there are 36 pages of them for all of the different versions of phpBB so some may work for what we end up getting and some may not.
DarkRelic
GTP World Janitor (3000 Club)

Future of GTPWORLD

Postby DarkRelic » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:15 pm

well, it defenatly looks interesting.
-Matt
-250,xxx miles
3.4"pulley Gen V, SLP RR, SLP Headers/Cat-Back, ZZP PCM, Eibach/AGX suspension, GMPP full upgrade kit, GMPP rear STB, WBS Perf. control arms (all 4 corners), TEP 3.29 transmission, F-Body Brakes, Modified Projector Headlights, CAI, 180*therm, AL104, WBS OS Radiator, 18x7.5" Verde Protocol Wheels
gtpforever
Site Owner
Site Owner

Future of GTPWORLD

Postby gtpforever » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:12 am

Yes very much so! I just wish eGTX03 would get back to me about what he thinks about the converter for moving the forum. LOL!
gtpforever
Site Owner
Site Owner

Future of GTPWORLD

Postby gtpforever » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:29 pm

So I am currently waiting on a reply back from magic vinyl printing who are the owners of the www.gtpworld.com I sent them a email and also gave them a call and talked for about 15 minutes to a guy there and he said he just got the email and will be talking to Joe the guy who is the register of the .com and the one who designed the original gtpworld. Lets hope for them to let up get the .com for as cheap as possible or even better yet FREE! [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/roll.gif[/img] evidently Joe used to own a GTP and then design the site for it according to them so that is sweet and thus probably why we have some of the best looking buttons on the net. [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/roll.gif[/img] Lets hope for a great outcome.
ArkanzanWheeler
SUPER MODERATOR!!
SUPER MODERATOR!!

Future of GTPWORLD

Postby ArkanzanWheeler » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:25 pm

Just curious, but with the new system will there be a way to subscribe to different sections instead of just the threads? That way we get an email when someone makes a new post...
2000 Daytona GTP
gtpforever
Site Owner
Site Owner

Future of GTPWORLD

Postby gtpforever » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:29 am

Hmmm Not sure on that one. We can look into that tho.
TUFFGTP
GTP World Colleague

Future of GTPWORLD

Postby TUFFGTP » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:22 am

HI Guys, Have not been around in a while but i still like the forum. If you can make it easy to use and have good features and an easier way to download pictures i think you will be satisfied. Do you still need funds to move it? Troy how do i contact you to donate? I like the site because i can find things fairly easy the way you have the front page loaded. If its tuners i go there, PLEASE keep that the same format. As far as the old post go, is it possible to copy them to an external hard drive and make technical notes out of them? You would not have to publish the post and people would still benefit from them. You could set up a help page and have the tech notes under certain categories and you could also sort out the old threads that don't have much to offer. Just a thought.
TUFFGTP
GTP World Colleague

Future of GTPWORLD

Postby TUFFGTP » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:53 am

Troy, I made my donation so you do not need to contact me. Should be good to move forward.
gtpforever
Site Owner
Site Owner

Future of GTPWORLD

Postby gtpforever » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:11 pm

We should be getting ready to start the build real soon. Not sue what is going to be there when Erik first starts building it but it should be nice.
crazymechanic32
GTP World Friend

Re: Future of GTPWORLD

Postby crazymechanic32 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:02 pm

So how long has this site been up now... Who are the top dogs in here.. what sets this site different from all the others
On my grind .. 3rd coast. Left lane chain gang.

Return to “Announcements & Updates”