A newbie who needs helps, what else is new? ha.

Introduce your self and tell us about your ride!!
under0ath
GTP World High Chieftan

Postby under0ath » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:02 am

Hi, my name is Adam and I am 21 years old from Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I have been
intersted in the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP for a long time, but I didn't have the money to
afford another car. So now I have hit a deer and the car is totalled, and now I will be
able to get myself a GTP. So the question is, what should I be looking for in a good
car, because I don't want to buy a garbage one. Plus I need help with modding. There
is one car I am looking at and it has a 3.4 pulley, I just want to know if there are enough
supporting mods for it.

NOT STOCK! supercharged (have extra ported and polished supercharger), 3.4" pulley, 3" downpipe w/o cat, custom fender mount cold air intake, full MSD ignition (MSD coils, MSD wires.) 150000 km leather, drivers heated seat, p/w, p/d, sunroof, keyless entry, dual zone climate control, a/c 4dr. gets 7.8 Lt./100 km highway, 11.5 Lt./100 km city, 24/36 MPG must sell. $6500.00 o.b.o.

Thanks for your help, and I look forward to getting to know all of you guys,
Adam
DarkRelic
GTP World Janitor (3000 Club)

Postby DarkRelic » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:23 pm

Welcome to the Forum!

To Start with The Grand Prix is an excellent car, and very responsive to modifications.

What year is the Grand Prix you are looking at? I'm assuming a 97-03. What I list below will change if it's newer.
As far as supporting mods, there isn't really enough listed other than the bare minumums.
-Unless he's tuned the computer for the 3.4 pulley it's could prove harmfull to the engine.
-3" downpipe is pretty much the minimum I would recommend for that pulley size. (Headers are the best route) Don't worry about the cat back exhaust, the stock cat-back isn't restrictive.
- MSD ignition and wires have a tendancy to make idle rough. A/C delco (OEM) actually makes some of the best spark plug wires for the car.
-Ask him what type of spark plugs he's running. Hopefully he says Autolite 104 spark plugs.

36mpg highway is a stretch unless he also has it tuned for it. Most people here see between 26-32mpg highway depending on modifications Fuel and tuning. City driving is closer to the 18-22mpg range.

If you are looking for common issues....
-Make sure the CV axles aren't leaking grease.
-Check for vibrations while driving it
-Check oil and transmission fluids for color, smell, and condition
-Check the tires for wear. (treadlife, as well as even or un-even wear)
-Check for oil running down the front valve cover onto the spark plug wires. (there has been a recall for this causing fires, see if he complied with it)
-Find out if he had it ported, or if he did it himself with a dremmel.

As for the cost of the car..... I paid $6200 (u.s. dollars) for my 2000 4door GTP 2-1/2 years ago when it had just over 110,000 miles on it. I think at the time the NADA value was at or just below $8000. I'm over 190,000 miles now.

Well, lets see how far this gets you!
-Matt
-250,xxx miles
3.4"pulley Gen V, SLP RR, SLP Headers/Cat-Back, ZZP PCM, Eibach/AGX suspension, GMPP full upgrade kit, GMPP rear STB, WBS Perf. control arms (all 4 corners), TEP 3.29 transmission, F-Body Brakes, Modified Projector Headlights, CAI, 180*therm, AL104, WBS OS Radiator, 18x7.5" Verde Protocol Wheels
under0ath
GTP World High Chieftan

Postby under0ath » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:18 pm

hey thanks for the info copterdocto, I was just wondering if I should get that Grand Prix or just
buy one stock and do all of the modifications myself. I found a site that had a "stage 4" kit that
comes with quite a bit of stuff, but again I don't know if it has all of the sufficiant parts. I was thinking
of a 3.25 or 3.0 pulley or are 3.4 better? anyways here is that ad.

<font size="2" face="Tahoma"><font color="#BB0000" size="3" face="Tahoma"><strong>$1,549.99</strong></font></font>
<font size="2" face="Tahoma"><font size="-1" face="Tahoma"><strong>
3800SC Stage 4 Performance Package Includes:</strong></font></font>
  • <font size="2" face="Tahoma"><font size="-1" face="Tahoma">SLP Performance Parts 1.80:1 Aluminum Roller Rocker Arms/Pushrod Package</font></font>
  • <font size="2" face="Tahoma"><font size="-1" face="Tahoma">PRJ Performance Ignition Wires</font></font>
  • <font size="2" face="Tahoma"><font size="-1" face="Tahoma">DynoMax Super Turbo Cat-Back Exhaust System with the option to upgrade to the SLP "Loudmouth" Exhaust System</font></font>
  • <font size="2" face="Tahoma"><font size="-1" face="Tahoma">Digital Horsepower Inc. v1.0 PCM. (click <a target="_blank" href="http://www.3800performance.com/Merchant2/%E2%80%9Chttp://www.3800performance.com/dhp_info.htm%E2%80%9D">here</a> to read full product information and the Disclaimer you must agree to.)</font></font>
  • <font size="2" face="Tahoma"><font size="-1" face="Tahoma">your choice of either a 3.4", 3.25", or 3.0" pulley</font></font>
  • <font size="2" face="Tahoma"><font size="-1" face="Tahoma">your choice of either a Press-On Pulley or the upgraded Thrasher Modular Pulley System</font></font>
  • <font size="2" face="Tahoma"><font size="-1" face="Tahoma">Thrasher Cold Air Induction Kit with the option to upgrade to the MSP Cold Air Induction System</font></font>
  • <font size="2" face="Tahoma"><font size="-1" face="Tahoma">Goodyear Gatorback Supercharger Belt</font></font>
  • <font size="2" face="Tahoma"><font size="-1" face="Tahoma">160-degree or 180-degree SLP Performance Parts Thermostat</font></font>
  • <font size="2" face="Tahoma"><font size="-1" face="Tahoma">Optional Coolant Recovery Bottle for 1997-1998 owners</font></font>
  • <font size="2" face="Tahoma"><font size="-1" face="Tahoma">Optional Intake F-duct for 1997-1998 owners upgrading to the MSP CAI System</font></font>
  • <font size="2" face="Tahoma"><font size="-1" face="Tahoma">Optional Thrasher Supercharger Pulley Puller Tool for Rental or Purchase</font></font>
<font size="2" face="Tahoma"><font size="-1" face="Tahoma">
</font></font>
ArkanzanWheeler
SUPER MODERATOR!!
SUPER MODERATOR!!

Postby ArkanzanWheeler » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:29 pm

The kit is easier to buy but it does not come with the bast parts (IMO) plus you will pay more. Stock GM wires are good until you get into serious modding so you really do not even need those, t-stats are $5 at AutoZone, WizAired has the better CAI, The gates belt has better grip (ZZP tested all of them), the Catback exhaust system will not help much for performance, you need before the cat to make a difference (headers or Plowerlog with a 3" downpipe). The 1.8 rockers are good if that is as far as you are going with the car, otherwise you will have to replace them later if you decide to do a cam and if that is the case then why not get a better and bigger set like the 1.84 or 1.9's? DHP has a good PCM, but Overkill has one people seem to like more. And finally the pulley size... until you can scan a 3.4" is the safest size to go with until you know your engine. If you did get that kit I would not suggest anything but the 3.4", the others are too small and will cause KR...
2000 Daytona GTP
under0ath
GTP World High Chieftan

Postby under0ath » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:40 pm

Thanks Arkanzan wheeler. I am new to the Grand Prix, so as you can tell I don't
know a whole lot about modding this car. I am planning to mod this car quite a
bit, however I will have to do it in steps because I won't be able to afford it all
at once. Everything you said makes sense, so maybe I will just buy parts seperatly
because at least that way I can choose between parts. As for the pulley size, I
thought 3.4 would be the safest bet, plus I am sure you can still make a fast car with it.
BTW, what does KR stand for...I know this is probably a stupid question and I
might get flamed by it. Just thought I should understand everything so that I don't keep
asking the same questions.

Thanks again,
Adam
ArkanzanWheeler
SUPER MODERATOR!!
SUPER MODERATOR!!

Postby ArkanzanWheeler » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:49 pm

No one should be flaming anyone here (might get a hard time every once in a while). We all had to learn.

KR stands for Knock Retard which is bad for the engine. I know it is a long thread but go read the Read First thread, it has a lot of info in it that might help understand it, that is why we made the thread for all the repeat same questions. Read through that and then let us know how fast you want the car in the end (if it ever is fast enough) and how much you are able to spend either right now or monthly just for mods. Then we can help point you in the right direction. Good Luck and keep asking the questions that the Read First thread does not cover for you.
2000 Daytona GTP
under0ath
GTP World High Chieftan

Postby under0ath » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:02 pm

thanks for all of the help <span class="user-name"><a href="http://Arkanzan-Wheeler.u.yuku.com" title="Arkanzan Wheeler's Profile">Arkanzan Wheeler</a></span>, i am sure it gets annoying hearing the same questions over
and over again. I will read this thread and learn some new stuff! I was thinking of spending $1500-$2000 for
initial tuning, then more money like $500 every month. I was hoping by completion to do the 1/4 mile in low 13's
and maybe even high 12's. But I would be more then happy with low 14's and high 13's to start. I don't know if
that makes it any easier to help.
ArkanzanWheeler
SUPER MODERATOR!!
SUPER MODERATOR!!

Postby ArkanzanWheeler » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:17 pm

With that money up front, I would say headers, WizAired CAI, PCM or tuner, and a way to scan like the AeroForce Scan Gauge. That stuff is a good foot in the door for modding. Low 13's is fairly easy if done right with these cars.
2000 Daytona GTP
under0ath
GTP World High Chieftan

Postby under0ath » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:42 pm

Yeah I saw one of these run at the track (which has now been closed...) it ran low 13's. I just
want to make sure I mod this car right, start from where you should start and not miss a step.
DarkRelic

Postby DarkRelic » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:18 am

Going in steps is the best way to mod. That way you can see what kind of increase you get from each type of modification. Not all mods add power, rather they are support for you to over-clock your supercharger. I don't like to call it increasing boost, since the M90 is a giant air pump instead of a compressor. It generates a lot of heat and the cooler you can make your air entering your engine, the better.

There is a lot of experience on this forum. I've never seen anyone flamed for asking. I've only seen people "Flamed" for giving damaging advice. Just promise me you won't run a 4K Stall torque converter on a supercharged only car.

Most of the time if you ask a Noob question people will answer it no matter what, or point you to the Read First thread. (we do have one and it's very imformative)
-Matt
-250,xxx miles
3.4"pulley Gen V, SLP RR, SLP Headers/Cat-Back, ZZP PCM, Eibach/AGX suspension, GMPP full upgrade kit, GMPP rear STB, WBS Perf. control arms (all 4 corners), TEP 3.29 transmission, F-Body Brakes, Modified Projector Headlights, CAI, 180*therm, AL104, WBS OS Radiator, 18x7.5" Verde Protocol Wheels
under0ath
GTP World High Chieftan

Postby under0ath » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:09 am

thanks <a target="_blank" href="http://copterdoctor.gtpworldforum.yuku.com" title="copterdoctor's Profile">copterdoctor</a>, I did read that thread and you are right it is very informative. Lets me know exactly whats mods I will need to run a 3.4 pulley. does it matter in which order you add them, all I know is that the 1.0 PCM requires certain mods before you use it. Everyone seems to be pretty nice and likes to help everyone. I think I will start with an FWI and then from there I am deciding to save up more and get headers and an exaust. Guess I will see how much money I will have to mod. I also have a friend who races cars so he will be able to scan my car for KR. I am sure if i follow everything step by step that I won't have to worry about KR, I never want to put more in the car then it can handle.
gtpforever
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby gtpforever » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:11 am

under0ath wrote:thanks <a target="_blank" href="http://copterdoctor.gtpworldforum.yuku.com" title="copterdoctor's Profile">copterdoctor</a>, I did read that thread and you are right it is very informative. Lets me know exactly whats mods I will need to run a 3.4 pulley. does it matter in which order you add them, <span style="font-weight: bold;">all I know is that the 1.0 PCM requires certain mods before you use it.</span> Everyone seems to be pretty nice and likes to help everyone. I think I will start with an FWI and then from there I am deciding to save up more and get headers and an exaust. Guess I will see how much money I will have to mod. I also have a friend who races cars so he will be able to scan my car for KR. I am sure if i follow everything step by step that I won't have to worry about KR, I never want to put more in the car then it can handle.

Actually that is a little incorrect, I used the DHP 1.0 PCM for a few months before getting other stuff to go with it. Now it does change the trans pressure and shift points but since it was stock i was never hammering on it anyway. [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif[/img] It will also probably make the car run a little rich till you start getting other stuff in there to go with it. Just if you get it make sure you go easy on the car just like it was stock cause even the stock cars get some crazy KR. My wifes car on the way home from Norwalk raceway in the spring was getting 4* of KR in some areas. Just look into your future if you will and ask yourself,.... how far? then if you answer anything farther than the 3.4 you have talked about (and we are all sure you will probably go farther) then make sure that there is no exhaust mads on there besides headers. They will open up your car to everything that you can do no matter what it is u decide to do and will keep you from buying lets say a 3" downpipe for $150-$200 and then trying to sell it to get some money back cause you realize you actually needed headers. This is one of the best mods to buy used cause they are about indestructible unless the previous owner is a nutjob.[img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/laugh.gif[/img]

Have you look at ebay for a GTP yet?
Now fixing....1998 Silvermist GTP with about 182,000 miles! Dead till fixed!!!!
Current Mods: XPZ, Stage 3 heads 150int/130exh, IRC bar/plate I/C, N*, 85mm maf, ZZP billet fuel logs, PRJ wires, 2.55, 2.8, 3.25, 3.4 pulleys and might have spun a bearing while dynoing!!!!! Worlds fastest GTP to get in the driveway to get rebuilt. No one comes close.
Image <<<<<Its BACK so watch out!
Good-luck to everyone who is true to the M90.....its like having a fat wife, sure a turbo (hot 120lb blond is better, but the M90 (fat wife) will be there forever!
under0ath
GTP World High Chieftan

Postby under0ath » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:05 am

Thanks for correcting me <a target="_blank" href="http://gtpforever.u.yuku.com" title="gtpforever's Profile">gtpforever</a>. I am glad you pointed that out for me. I know for sure of the WFI, but then I guess I will go for headers next. You are probably right I will eventually so more work on the car, just knowing that these GTP's can get there says a lot about them and its also like you should do more with the car. I have been looking for some cars. there are two in Calgary. They are both for $7000 Canadian, one is red 4 door and the other is grey. Both are 2000's and have 115 000 km (not sure what that would be in miles). The grey one has a K&N CAI (i guess technically its not a CAI), but I heard those things save you in fuel mileage but slow down the performance side of the car. It also has Magnaflow exhaust with two pretty big exhaust tips and MSD ignition. The red one is plain stock.

Thanks again,
adam
DarkRelic

Postby DarkRelic » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:38 pm

115,000 km is actually really low mileage by GTP standards (about 72,000 miles). my car (if I did the conversion right) is just under 308,000KM (+191,300 miles) on the odometer. It is also a 2000.

To give you an idea on the limits, ZZperformance.com has a grand prix that will run the quarter mile in well under 9 seconds. Granted it is built and twincharged, but it gives you an idea of the capabilities.
-Matt
-250,xxx miles
under0ath
GTP World High Chieftan

Postby under0ath » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:18 pm

I am hoping to pick up one of the two cars this coming weekend, I am so excited for it. I was surprised when I found out how low the mileage was on both cars. So hopefully one of them will be on the driveway by Monday.

That is insane!! I can't believe these cars can go that fast. the GM 3800 must be on hell of a motor. I don't think I will ever get my car that fast. ha. I still want it to be my daily driver, but I still can't believe how fast the car is.

Return to “Welcome!”