new to the site not to my car though =D

Introduce your self and tell us about your ride!!
quick98gtp
GTP World Ambassador

Postby quick98gtp » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:55 am

whats goin on everbody?
Im scotty.
bought a 98 GTP with 87xxx miles on it back in sept. 08 the best thing i have ever done in my life. shhh...but im 90% positive i love my car more then my g/f LOL! i fell in love the first time i saw it =D

anyway i put some mods on, yano the usual 10.3 mm plugs 104 plugs 3 windows tinted black lugs dual glasspacks u bend delete ram air intake 9'' filter (not sure but the thing is massive)
future lookin to bypass the traction control soon and bypass the fan to where i can put it on at anytime i want...some other things.... mayb a paint job...=/

here for friends and advice and to help out.
footballplaya3k
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby footballplaya3k » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:02 am

Welcome man, but I can't wait until some of the experienced guys get a look at your mods, they are gonna go crazy lmao. I guarantee they will pretty much tell you to start completely over and change out everything you have put on. I guess I'll give you the basic version of a lil bit of what some of them will say. Get some new stock SP wires, put autolite 605's (I run 606's) in, take the ram air out and get a CAI either Wizair or Cold Air Inductions (brand). The u bend is good but a DP is better and headers are best. Past that you're over my head. Welcome to the club man
David

Old. 98 GTP Coupe- L32, Gen V, IC, Headers, 3.2" 13.7 @ 104.

New. '08 Cobalt SS/TC Rally Yellow ~300WHP
K&N SRI, ZZP 3" Catless DP, MPX 3" Catback w/o muffler, 23 PSI Trifecta ECP Tune, ZZP FMIC, Injen Upper CP, ZZP Lower CP, GMPP Clutch, HKS SSQV, Pedders XA Extreme Coilovers, TWM Shifter, Carbon Fiber Hood and Trunk, Buyhids Retrofits, Powell Air/Oil Separator
ArkanzanWheeler
SUPER MODERATOR!!
SUPER MODERATOR!!

Postby ArkanzanWheeler » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:21 pm

Welcome to the forum, and the car usually is better than the G/F...the car does not nag all the time...lol.

As for your mods, the 104's are going to be too cold and are going to fowl out and cause misfires. 605's would be better for the stock pulley and everything.

The plug wires are not necessary and not as reliable as the stock ones are, but since you already have them I would not worry too much about them. Just watch them if you start getting a misfire.

Not sure about your intake, I guess we would have to see a pic. Does it have a box around the filter (cold Air Intake) or is it all open (Hot Air Intake)?

The traction control can be disabled by a fuse, I think it is the ABS one but it is better to leave it in for now since these transmissions are so weak.

The exhaust is already covered above...

The fan switch is a bad idea, someone might borrow the car and forget to turn it on or they will turn it off not knowing and then you overheat. The better option is to get a 180* t-stat and drill a 1/8" hole in it. Then when you get a tune for your PCM, just set the fans to come on at the temp that you want them to come on. If you do control your fans with a switch you have to remember the AC needs the fans on while it is running and if you make it go with a switch then there might be the time you forget. We do not need anyone melting their engines here.

So what type of paint job are you thinking about? Stock style or something different?
2000 Daytona GTP
DarkRelic
GTP World Janitor (3000 Club)

Postby DarkRelic » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:22 pm

the only thing I want to add to what Ark said....

Ditch the plug wires and go back to stock. The wires that have less resistance (larger diameter) have been known to destory ignition coils, cause poor idle, and give off radio interferance.

AL104 plugs are way too cold for your mods. Autolite 605's are a much better plug for what you have.

There is a write up for your TCS removal..... even better I found the link to a complany that sells a $35 harness that disables it.

<a target="_blank" href="https://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=645&catid=107">https://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=645&catid=107</a>

remember, there have been many here before you who have learned the hard way. we are just trying to help, this isn't a flaming. I suggest you get a scan-gauge if you want to start modifying your car.
-Matt
-250,xxx miles
3.4"pulley Gen V, SLP RR, SLP Headers/Cat-Back, ZZP PCM, Eibach/AGX suspension, GMPP full upgrade kit, GMPP rear STB, WBS Perf. control arms (all 4 corners), TEP 3.29 transmission, F-Body Brakes, Modified Projector Headlights, CAI, 180*therm, AL104, WBS OS Radiator, 18x7.5" Verde Protocol Wheels

Return to “Welcome!”