New to site, new to me car.

Introduce your self and tell us about your ride!!
85XR7Project
GTP World Literary Craftsmen (700 Club)

Postby 85XR7Project » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:32 am

Hi fellas, I've been a Ford man for most of my life, but I have wanted one of these for years. I am also a writer for Car Domain (have to try to stay neutral when you write) and have been a car freak for a long time so brand really is not an issue with me. Finally a friend of mine decided to sell his GTP project car, and let me tell you this thing is rough. He clipped a deer with it so it has dents and the paint has gone from the nice deep green to a flat green. I already have my hands full with doing my Cougar but I want this to be a fun DD which it is so far, but you know how the horsepower bug goes. I decided I need to fix up the exterior and get a smaller SC pulley and call it good for the time being. What do you guys think? I warn you its a sad sight, it has not been cared for. AT ALL.

Image <p>
</p>
98 GTP- Sold
85 Cougar XR7- 351W/C4 implant in progress.
93 Accord- Sounds like a fart in a tin can but is a blast to DD.
davemeradith
GTP World Colleague

Postby davemeradith » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:42 am

Welcome to the site! I would just like to give you some heads up on the smaller pulley, mine was bought with one and did not have the proper mods to support it and ended up blowing it. This is the place to get a great amount of support and this is just a suggestion but I would ask these guys before doing any mods. I hope this turns out to be a good project for ya! Save the GTP!
ArkanzanWheeler
SUPER MODERATOR!!
SUPER MODERATOR!!

Postby ArkanzanWheeler » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:29 am

Go to the Read First thread and soak up as much knowledge as you can in there, it will shed some light on how to mod these cars. Your car looks rough now but I would stop off at a local junk yard and pick up a fender and a door. That is the main things that are damaged it looks like. How is the engine? You can also get aftermarket lightweight fenders if you want, but I do not know anyone who has ordered them yet so you would be the guinea pig. We will try not to fault you too much for being a Ford guy, we all have dirty pasts I guess...lol. Welcome to the forum.
2000 Daytona GTP
85XR7Project

Postby 85XR7Project » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:43 pm

Engine is pretty good I have the whole history from the previous owner as long as they have had it. The engine was replaced with one that had around 80K and that was around 5-7K ago and it runs fantastic. I planned on getting a new fender, door and at some point painting it the orig. Green. I must say having a GM vehicle with the 3.8 was a huge buying point for me and the fact that it was a GTP was pretty cool to me. I had raced a few at the track with my various SHO's over the years and I had always wanted one. Wish mine was a bit nicer but beggers can't be choosers.

Brett
98 GTP- Sold
ArkanzanWheeler
SUPER MODERATOR!!
SUPER MODERATOR!!

Postby ArkanzanWheeler » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:47 pm

You going to post up pics of the Checker that you have in your sig? There has always been something cool about them, especially slammed down...lol
2000 Daytona GTP
85XR7Project

Postby 85XR7Project » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:28 pm

Yeah, I'll post it when I get home. Been a long day at the shop. You know how that is.
98 GTP- Sold
85XR7Project

Postby 85XR7Project » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:36 pm

When is winter going to be over? Not soon enough thats for sure, well heres the Checker. Not really anything super special. If ya wanna know anything about it feel free to ask. I'm pretty versed in Checker history bc my grandfather was VP at Checker for many years.
ImageImageImage <p>
</p>
98 GTP- Sold
gtpforever
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby gtpforever » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:38 pm

Welcome to the site.............. But let me start by saying this....... It does appear to be the paint fading or anything it appears to me that someone tried to prep it for paint and was sanding it. LOL! Not that any of that is a problem really but that is sue what it looks like. LOL! There even appears to be some red on the door with the dent.
Now fixing....1998 Silvermist GTP with about 182,000 miles! Dead till fixed!!!!
Current Mods: XPZ, Stage 3 heads 150int/130exh, IRC bar/plate I/C, N*, 85mm maf, ZZP billet fuel logs, PRJ wires, 2.55, 2.8, 3.25, 3.4 pulleys and might have spun a bearing while dynoing!!!!! Worlds fastest GTP to get in the driveway to get rebuilt. No one comes close.
Image <<<<<Its BACK so watch out!
Good-luck to everyone who is true to the M90.....its like having a fat wife, sure a turbo (hot 120lb blond is better, but the M90 (fat wife) will be there forever!
Gibby
SUPER MODERATOR!!
SUPER MODERATOR!!

Postby Gibby » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:05 pm

Nice, that checker looks like its been well taken care of, that GTP seems to be in good hands.
gtpforever wrote:Now I know you live in Cali so thats complicates things for you compared to the rest of us who live where we have rights

NIC cam, tuned by me. Best time of 13.35 @107. Cant keep tires from spinning during WOT shifts, need slicks.
85XR7Project

Postby 85XR7Project » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:01 am

Well, I was told it had been in some sort of accident at some point so that explains the door, and the air bags at some point had been deployed and I have replacements already. I need to find out how to put the new ones in (This makes me nervous). The Checker was a car given to us by my grandfather. It is really an odd car: Chevy 283 small block and a 2 speed powerglide, Studebaker front drum brakes, Dana 60 rear differential. I am a 6'5" guy and I can sit in the backseat and stretch my legs out and not touch the front seat, its the only car I can live with sitting in the backseat. I plan on following the first read thread for the most part and kicking out a few comments every now and then (I'm not really "in the know" when it comes to the technical on these cars). Thanks for the nice comments guys!
98 GTP- Sold
ArkanzanWheeler
SUPER MODERATOR!!
SUPER MODERATOR!!

Postby ArkanzanWheeler » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:07 pm

You would probably hate me with that Checker since it is in such nice condition but the first thing I would do is an air bag suspension to put it in the ground and then chop the top about 8"...then paint it up like a taxicab with the yellow and checkers down the side. In case you can not tell I have a problem with leaving things stock...lol.
2000 Daytona GTP
85XR7Project

Postby 85XR7Project » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:40 pm

Well, if you really must know. Its this way more for my mother's nostalgia than for me. It WAS her dad's car after all. If I had my way it would probably have an Art Morrison chassis, BB Chevy motor, Ford 9", dropped to the ground on air bags, 20" rims maybe, chopped and channelled. But thats just me dreaming. I can only handle two projects at once if I take another apart I figure my wife would leave me.

Hey would it be wrong if I did the boost bypass mod to my car? I have been looking at the first read page quite a bit but the link to this on no longer exists.
98 GTP- Sold
ArkanzanWheeler
SUPER MODERATOR!!
SUPER MODERATOR!!

Postby ArkanzanWheeler » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:22 pm

If the link is gone then so be it, that was a mod that did more harm than good.
1-When you have the BBV adjusted so it is making boost sooner it is not tuned for your PCM to add fuel sooner so you end up half the time running lean.
2-With the boost coming in so soon it is putting more pressure on the transmission when you take off
3-More power in the lower rpm's means it will be easier to spin the tires, need traction to go fast (that is an advantage for turbos).
(there are more problems with it but this is the main problems that I can think of right now)
2000 Daytona GTP
85XR7Project

Postby 85XR7Project » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:31 pm

See, thats exactly the answer I needed in one single post. I want this car to last and be able to have fun with it, maybe take down a punk kid every now and then. I love the power it has right now but a little added power would be nice. I'm not really loaded so nothing real extravigant. Thanks!
98 GTP- Sold
gtpforever
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby gtpforever » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:26 pm

Hmmmm..... So you write for a cardomain blog? What is this? Is there anyway to get some more notoriety of this site out there through cardomain besides me and others making a cardomain page? I amready have a page over there but just wondering if there is something we can do to get the name out there.
Now fixing....1998 Silvermist GTP with about 182,000 miles! Dead till fixed!!!!
Current Mods: XPZ, Stage 3 heads 150int/130exh, IRC bar/plate I/C, N*, 85mm maf, ZZP billet fuel logs, PRJ wires, 2.55, 2.8, 3.25, 3.4 pulleys and might have spun a bearing while dynoing!!!!! Worlds fastest GTP to get in the driveway to get rebuilt. No one comes close.
Image <<<<<Its BACK so watch out!
Good-luck to everyone who is true to the M90.....its like having a fat wife, sure a turbo (hot 120lb blond is better, but the M90 (fat wife) will be there forever!

Return to “Welcome!”