pulley installment gone wrong

Problem with things on the site???? Talk to the man!!!!!!
slammedGP
GTP World Blower Freak (4000 club)

Postby slammedGP » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:34 am

^^ True, if you have access to a press, you can suck out the SC oil and remove the snout and then press the pulley the rest of the way on. Then you can recut the threads later or maybe even install a helicoil. That way you could keep the same threads, but i don't know if that size of helicoil is available. If you would rather not buy a new snout, i'd suggest removing the snout and pressing the pulley on with a press. It doesn't take long to remove once you suck out the SC oil. Hope this helps.
gtpgtogofast
GTP World Bridge Officer (1700 Club)

Postby gtpgtogofast » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:35 am

<p>There is a couple of things you can do. How much of the thread did you strip out? You probably only stripped out the beginning of the threads and if that is the case just go get a 8mm tap at your local hardware store and re tap the end of the snout. The threads are just used for a breather cap. A mps system comes with a plastic cap or plug that fits in the end of the snout so you will not be able to use that screw in plug anyways. The other thing you can do is to take your new pulley and heat it up to aprox 500 degrees. This will open the bore of the hole enough so that you can just slide it over your snout without using a puller or install tool. There are two things to consider when using the heat method. #l The 500 Degree pulley may turn a different color and it is hard to handle without hot gloves. The other thing is make sure you do not leave the sc oil in the snout. The pulley will be hot and heats the surrounding area of the installed (Hot Pulley) so that's why you drain the snout oil. Also have a air nozzle with compressed air and spray the pulley with compressed air rite after the install so you can cool it as fast as possible because there are bearings and seals in the snout that you wouldn't want to overheat.</p>
gtpgtogofast
GTP World Bridge Officer (1700 Club)

Postby gtpgtogofast » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:35 am

<p>There is a couple of things you can do. How much of the thread did you strip out? You probably only stripped out the beginning of the threads and if that is the case just go get a 8mm tap at your local hardware store and re tap the end of the snout. The threads are just used for a breather cap. A mps system comes with a plastic cap or plug that fits in the end of the snout so you will not be able to use that screw in plug anyways. The other thing you can do is to take your new pulley and heat it up to aprox 500 degrees. This will open the bore of the hole enough so that you can just slide it over your snout without using a puller or install tool. There are two things to consider when using the heat method. #l The 500 Degree pulley may turn a different color and it is hard to handle without hot gloves. The other thing is make sure you do not leave the sc oil in the snout. The pulley will be hot and heats the surrounding area of the installed (Hot Pulley) so that's why you drain the snout oil. Also have a air nozzle with compressed air and spray the pulley with compressed air rite after the install so you can cool it as fast as possible because there are bearings and seals in the snout that you wouldn't want to overheat.</p>
aimhigh86
GTP World Decorated Hero (1000 Club)

Postby aimhigh86 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:12 am

you'll spend more money trying to figure out a way to put it on the snout you have right now. DO NOT buy the one from ZZP. IT is overpriced, go to intense-racing.com and buy theirs. Intense sells theirs from around 100 bucks or so..................

good luck, I had the same problem because ZZPs puller had shitty thread on that M8 stud and it *#!%$% my threads up inside the snout. I have had so many bad experiences with ZZP...I don't know what to think about them anymore, but I still have their sticker on my car Image <p>
</p>
aimhigh86
GTP World Decorated Hero (1000 Club)

Postby aimhigh86 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:12 am

you'll spend more money trying to figure out a way to put it on the snout you have right now. DO NOT buy the one from ZZP. IT is overpriced, go to intense-racing.com and buy theirs. Intense sells theirs from around 100 bucks or so..................

good luck, I had the same problem because ZZPs puller had shitty thread on that M8 stud and it *#!%$% my threads up inside the snout. I have had so many bad experiences with ZZP...I don't know what to think about them anymore, but I still have their sticker on my car Image <p>
</p>
sdelariva
GTP World New Hand

Postby sdelariva » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:48 pm

you all have been really helpful i had my car in our shop off and on trying to figure this out i get know time to really look at it cuz were always pulling boats in and out of their.. i work for the u s coast guard and never ran into a problem lke this.. lol and WHATS UP WITH TAKING THE OIL OUT BEFORE U REMOVE THE SNOUT I UNBOLTED THE SNOUT AND PULLED IT OUT TILL I FIGURED OUT THAT IT WOULD HIT THE ALT AND I DIDNT HAVE TO TAKE OUT THE OIL.. THE OIL IS JUST FOR THE BEARINGS??. I WISH I COULD JUST HAMMER IT ON THE REST OF THE WAY BUT I KNOW THE SHAFT BEARINGS R SENSITVE.. THANKS GUYS..
sdelariva
GTP World New Hand

Postby sdelariva » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:48 pm

you all have been really helpful i had my car in our shop off and on trying to figure this out i get know time to really look at it cuz were always pulling boats in and out of their.. i work for the u s coast guard and never ran into a problem lke this.. lol and WHATS UP WITH TAKING THE OIL OUT BEFORE U REMOVE THE SNOUT I UNBOLTED THE SNOUT AND PULLED IT OUT TILL I FIGURED OUT THAT IT WOULD HIT THE ALT AND I DIDNT HAVE TO TAKE OUT THE OIL.. THE OIL IS JUST FOR THE BEARINGS??. I WISH I COULD JUST HAMMER IT ON THE REST OF THE WAY BUT I KNOW THE SHAFT BEARINGS R SENSITVE.. THANKS GUYS..

Return to “Complaint Department”